Citi Bank has rolled out an offer on their credit cards for international spends wherein it’s providing 2X reward points on international spends. This offer comes just after the Amazon Pay ICICI Bank Credit Card international spends offer. It seems all credit card companies want to encash the opportunity of foreign spends during year end international vacations.
- Offer: Earn 2X reward points on all international/foreign currency/non-INR spends
- Period: 15th December 2019 to 15th January 2020
- Maximum Cap: None
- Minimum Spends: Rs. 1 Lakh cumulative
- Type: Open for all retail Citi Credit Card holders
- Excluded Cards: Citi Corporate Cards
- Fulfillment: Reward points will be credited within 90 days from the date of transaction
- Source: Email, Website
This is a nice offer from Citi and you can get a reward rate of 8% to 16% (based on what you redeem for) if you hold Citi Prestige Credit Card. After a foreign currency markup of 3.5% + GST, the net reward rate turns out to be 3.87% to 11.87% which is quite great. And the best part is, there is no upper limit on number of reward points one can accumulate.
Also if you hold Citi Premier Miles Credit Card, the net reward rate translates to -0.53 (3.6% reward rate - 4.13% foreign currency markup & GST). Hence I wouldn’t recommend to use this offer on Citi Premier Miles Credit Card as you end up losing money, unless you don’t have other better credit cards for international transactions.
Let me know your views on this offer from Citi in comments below.