American Express (Amex) announced the Reward Multiplier Program on their charge and credit cards today. Under this program, card members can earn up to 5X Membership Reward Points based on their card variant on selected merchants. Let’s dive into the details to know more about this program.
Amex Reward Multiplier Program
- Program: Accelerated membership reward points on using Amex Cards at Reward Multiplier platform
- Amex Platinum Charge Card: 5X
- Amex Platinum Travel and Reserve Card: 3X
- Amex Gold, Membership Rewards and SmartEarn Card: 2X
- Merchants: Available on merchants available on Reward Multiplier platform
- Includes Flipkart, Amazon, Myntra, TataCLIQ etc.
- Full list of merchants available here
- Max Cap: 25,000 Membership Reward Points per month
- Fulfillment: Within 120 Days from the date of valid transaction
- Excluded Cards: Corporate Cards and Cobrand Cards
- Excluded Products: Exclusion list can be viewed here
- Source: Email
How to avail?
To avail this program, you need to follow four simple steps as below:
- Navigate to Reward Multiplier platform and select a merchant for shopping.
- Enter some basic information like Card Number of primary member and date of birth.
- Shop for items in same browser window in next 30 minutes.
- Checkout using the Card Number entered in Step 2.
However you have to make sure of following:
- The transaction on the partner website should be completed without closing the window or visiting any other website.
- If the partner website is accessed on a mobile device, please ensure that the purchase is completed on the partner’s mobile website and not on the partner App.
- Make sure your Cart is empty before you start shopping on the partner website.
Below table summarizes the reward rate for various Amex cards if redeemed for Statement Credit:
|Card||Reward Multiplier Rate||Reward Rate|
|Amex Platinum Travel and Reserve||3X||1.875%|
|Amex Gold, Membership Rewards and SmartEarn||2X||1%|
Note that you can get a way better value of Amex Membership Reward Points if you transfer your points for hotel loyalty points or airline miles. Redeeming Amex Membership Reward Points for statement credit is not a wise decision.
It seems Amex is trying to compete with HDFC Bank’s famous 10X SmartBuy program. However the dismal reward rate kills all the enthusiasm. Extracting a great value out of Amex Membership Reward Points is not everyone’s cup of tea and you need to up your points and miles games for it.
I was communicated about this offer by Amex on my Gold Card via an email today. I feel I won’t be able to extract great value out of Membership Reward Points at this point of time and hence I’ll stick to HDFC Bank Infinia and Diners Club Black Credit Cards as my primary driver.
However it’s really nice to see that Amex is coming up with these offers in these hard times when all other credit card issuers are reducing the reward rate. I hope Amex continues to push more and more exciting offers to win more customers.
What are your views on Amex Reward Multiplier Program? Are you planning to use this to earn bonus Membership Reward Points? Let me know by leaving a quick comment below.